One of the most commonly prevalent yet quite often misunderstood is the medical condition of erectile dysfunction. Erectile Dysfunction is a condition that indicates the incapability of having a successful sexual contact. This physical inability is most likely to occur with increase in one’s age.
How common is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) has become a very common physical condition that is prevalent in many individuals mainly due to their life style they follow. This generation has made alcohol consumption as a regular habit which can harm them very badly. Impotency can be seen in people as they become aged.
There is no exact statistics available on how many men are suffering from this condition as many cases are not reported to doctors. The data collected from the reported cases says that 4% men at age 50 and 16.7% at the age of 60 have the chances of being impotent and this will increase with age.
Is erectile dysfunction the same as impotence?
Impotence is same as erectile dysfunction that either makes the process of erection impossible or makes it difficult to sustain the timing required for the proper penetrative sex to happen. The process of erection is very complicated.
When a person is sexually aroused then the blood flow will be more to the two chambers in the penis which are called as corpus cavernosa and at this point of time penis releases a nucleotide known as cGMP that orders the walls of the twin chambers to relax.
After that the increased flow of blood will enter the penis and makes erection possible. This process is simultaneously carried out with the breakdown of cGMP by an enzyme.
What are the symptoms of erectile dysfunction?
There are many symptoms associated with impotency. This can be different with different individuals. Some of the symptoms are:
- Erection in a very less time
- The time that a man spends in sexual activities reduces abnormally.
- Fast and partial erection that happens before the starting of sexual activity.
- Amount of semen discharge can be reduced to a very low level.
- Losing interest towards sex
- The discharge of semen that is odourless
- Testicles hanging loosely
- Absence of erection in morning time.
- Erection getting softened immediately after semen discharge.
- Discharges happening without erections
- Discharges happening in dreams.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
There are various factors that can cause erectile dysfunction. These factors or causes can be categorized in to lifestyle causes, physical causes, and psychological causes. Some of these are:
- Physical causes
- Parkinson’s disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Multiple sclerosis
- Psychological causes
- Sexual boredom
- Problems in relationships
- Problems in sexual orientation
- Guilt feeling
- Lifestyle causes
- Consumption of alcohol in a large amount
- Chain smoking
- Consumption of illegal drugs
- Physical inactiveness
- Cycling for a long time very vigorously can damage nerves
It needs to be appreciated that impotency is not a permanent state and there are many treatments and medicines available today. Once the exact cause has been identified it is well within the reach of modern medical science.